Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween: Its Kind of a Big Deal

Happy  Halloween!!!



I know that Halloween was yesterday, but the festivities in the Huis started well before then. Believe it or not, but this was the first Halloween many of the internationals , so us Americans had to show them what all the hype was truly about. To be honest, it didn’t take too much effort to get the internationals into the spirit. Dare I say, some of them enjoyed it more than me!



The holiday officially kicked off on Thursday when we had our kitchen decorating contest. My unit, Unit 3, decided to go the untraditional route and did  a creepy circus theme rather than a spooky graveyard or a haunted house. We all really go into it, especially Stipe. He scared me sometimes.


Pretty Clever name,right?

I dressed up as the bear. no shame!

Our Amazing tent!
Stipe, NEVER leaves character.Poor Clara



A BIG thanks to Astrid who provided us with all the props, which really made our kitchen standout among the rest.


The other kitchens were also great, but I would be lying if I didn’t think Unit 3 was the best. I bet you wondering who won, but you'll have to read the rest of the post to find out.







Like I said before, Halloween isn’t too big of a deal in Leuven, or really in Europe. It’s so crazy to think that staple holidays in America, like Thanksgiving and Halloween, aren't celebrated worldwide. Being away from home during this holiday has really made me appreciate the charisma and enthusiasm people at home show toward these special days. It really helped that the internationals, Belgian's included, participated in our festivities and made us feel more at home.

If this doesn't show dedication, than iI don't know what does.




So yesterday, the actual day of Halloween, we had the Huis Halloween Party, thrown by my sophomore roomie, Katie Windt. She did a great job! The decorations were fabulous, the snacks were delicious, and the witches brew and pumpkin punch were quite tasty.
Posted up at the snack table. No surprise here.

Refreshments



Too cute!



For the first time in my life(correct me if I’m wrong mom), I did a group costume. Meaghan, Cait and I put a Dutch spin on an American classic. Since no one had ever heard of the Three Blind Mice, we decided to be the Drie (three in Dutch) Blind Cats.  No one really had any grey clothes to be mice, so cats just seemed easier, and any costume that requires me to sport my sunglasses at night, works for me!

#sunneversetsonabadass



 *Side note: We went trick-or-treating at the Hughes house and that was a blast. They didn't have candy, but they had beer.

We also played games. We shared some our favorite American party games which most of the  guests had never even heard of. It was hilarious! My roommate Pavla, although she cheated multiple times (on accident), was a champ. I was so proud.




She has great form.

GO PAVLA!!!




We also bobbed for apples. As a self proclaimed apple enthusiast, I showed everyone the proper technique and I was quite successful.

I sacrficed my whiskers for the sake of the game. It was worth it


Halloween was a hit in the huis. I can't wait for our next holiday, Thanksgiving. I’m really looking forward to pumpkin pie and macaroni and cheese, although I’m pretty sure no one can hold a candle to my mother’s homemade mac'n cheese ;)



Alright, I’m off to study for my Dutch test. Boooo

Tot Ziens,

Shayne



P.S.

Unit 3 won the kitchen contest!!!! WOHOO. We are now the proud new owners of a waffle maker!
Unit love

P.s.s- I'm going through Reeses's withdrawl. Anyone is more than welcomed to donate their unwated pb cups to me. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment